Sucre- capital of Bolivia 🇧🇴

After our mine adventure we had a quick turnaround and took a 3 hour bus from Potosi to Sucre- the capital of Bolivia (not La Paz as we had always thought!).

Upon arrival we unloaded, walked through the narrow streets the bus couldn’t take and found our hotel. The rooms were accessible from an open air courtyard and it was a decent standard of accommodation. However we dashed out the door and to a pub our CEO had booked so we could watch the champions league final. Pub food and football (although most people used the decent free wifi) it was a. Ice afternoon.

After the pub we had a quick orientation walk of the city centre; which consisted of a town square with nice colonial buildings and statues; and a visit to the supermarket to buy some drinks for the evening.

After a post afternoon nap, we met everyone in the courtyard and had a few drinks. Which led to the hotel staff telling us off so we went out clubbing to a place our CEO recommended: Berlin hostel. The evening consisted of too many jäger shots and 2 litre pitchers of local beer. Safe to say we were very drunk and got back about 3/4am.

The following morning I got up but Mike was feeling hungover (or still drunk) so he passed on the late morning activity of visiting dinosaur footprints. Sucre is famous for its dinosaur footprints and as such each roundabout in the city has a mode dinosaur.

Nine of us managed to get up for the tour and took 2 taxis to the dinosaur park: Parque Cretacico. Our taxi drivers agreed to wait for us and we entered for 30 Bolivianaros plus 5 for a camera (around £4.50). We managed to tag on to an English tour and where taken around the park, which consisted of life size fibre glass dinosaurs. It was kind of a rubbish Jurassic park but the scale of some of the dinosaurs was impressive. After some information on how to recognise different types of dinosaur footprints we arrived at the viewing point. Below was a large wall,where the cement company next door, had discovered the footprints. Tracks could be seen going in all different directions on this 90 degree wall. The guide explained how the tectonics and pushing up of the Andes had pushed the floor of this old lake into a 90 degree wall.

A tour down to the footprints was scheduled for twice a day. 4 of our group didn’t want to wait so headed back while the rest of us waited the half an hour until the tour started. While waiting I took some selfies with dinosaurs and viewed the model skeletons. We had to wear helmets and goggles, and descended to the wall. It was a steep path down into the dusty bowl.

Now up close you could see different types of footprint, from sauropod to theropod. The guide explained the different types and how they had been left. Some where big and some quite small. The weird thing was seeing them vertical rather than horizontal.

It was worthwhile and interesting to see something 65 million years old. We climbed back up the path, which was now inhabited with a flock of goats eating the shrubbery. The taxi driver was still waiting and took us back into town, although now wanted slightly more for waiting longer than we had agreed.

Mike was still hungover and we spend the rest of the day quite lazily. In the evening I went out for dinner (Mike still wasn’t feeling well) and had some nice food with the rest of the group.

The following day our coach to La Paz wasn’t till the evening so we had time to do a bit of exploring. Mike was feeling better and now super hungry so lunch was first on the cards. Eliza was also at a loose end so tagged along and took us to a nice cafe she had found. We took photos of the nice square and buildings and enjoyed some time in the sun.

We met up with some other members of the group in the afternoon and walked up to the Recollecta view point. From here we could see the whole city which made for good photos. Behind was also a nice square in front of a church where kids played football. A small market to trap tourists was also near by.

We walked back down the steep narrow streets and prepared for our over night trip to La Paz.

Our CEO arranged a mini bus to a crazy bus station where we where to get our coach. We all had to pay a tax for just standing in the bus station first and then proceed to go have our luggage weighed- like you would at the airport. Although why you need to weigh luggage for a coach journey was beyond us. With so many of us (19) the company couldn’t be bothered so sent us to stand next to the coach in car park, where we loaded our bags while dodging reversing coaches.

Eventually we were allowed on and in fact had a very comfortable ride. 160 degree reclining seats and they even played a movie ‘Fast and the Furious 8’. An awful film but entertaining nonetheless. Midway through the bus got a flat tyre and we were stranded in the middle of no where. We were grateful to finally arrive in La Paz the next morning and only a few hours late.

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in: Logo

You are commenting using your account. Log Out /  Change )

Google photo

You are commenting using your Google account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )

Connecting to %s